The Kingston Humane Society (KHS), a non-profit organization that has been caring for the injured, abused and homeless animals of Kingston and the surrounding communities since 1884. We are seeking committed individuals to serve on our volunteer Board of Directors.
We invite applications from members of the community who support the mission of the KHS, are prepared to act as representatives of the Society within the community, will be loyal to the interest of the membership, and will have the time to devote to the work of the shelter. In particular, we seek individuals with experience in finance, law, marketing or engineering/design. However, we welcome applications from those with other knowledge, skills and experience that would benefit the KHS.
To be eligible to serve on the KHS Board of Directors, an individual must be 18 years of age or older, must be a resident of the Province of Ontario, must not be a bankrupt, and must be a member of the KHS or, within ten days of appointment or election, must become a member. Directors are elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting for a three-year term. Those who are appointed to vacant seats between membership meetings must stand for re-election at the next Annual General Meeting.
KHS Board members are expected to attend monthly Board meetings, maintain confidentiality of Board discussions, sit on at least one committee, perform committee work, attend the Annual General Meeting, special membership meetings, and support and attend special events.
If you are interested in serving on the KHS Board of Directors, please send an e-mail with your contact information and a brief outline of why you would like to serve on the Board to: [email protected]
In order to serve as a director of the Kingston Humane Society (KHS), individuals must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, a member in good standing of the KHS and must be at least 18 years of age.
In addition, potential directors:
- Must not be involved in any legal action or dispute with the KHS
- Must attend regular board meetings, as per KHS by‐laws and governance policies.
- Must be able and willing to attend training sessions
- Must be willing to implement, understand and support all policies and positions approved by the Board of Directors
- Must promote the KHS and its mandate publicly and privately
- Must express a commitment to animal welfare and to the mission/vision of the KHS
Persons ineligible or prohibited include:
- Individuals involved knowingly, directly or indirectly in the exploitation of animals in such a way as to cause them unnecessary suffering, or those charged with animal cruelty provincially or federally.
- Individuals related to an employee of the KHS (i.e. legal or common‐law spouse, child, step‐child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister)
- Employees of the Society – except for those that participate in an ex-officio role.
- Partners/employees of the named auditing firm.
- Is a person in breach of any policy or statement of the KHS
- Has been removed from the Board of Directors (unless reinstated by a majority board vote).
Experience in one or more of the following is essential:
Legal background/Law degree
Financial planning, analysis
Program planning and evaluation
In addition, members of the Kingston Humane Society Board of Directors must show a willingness to work diligently and cooperatively to further animal welfare.
REQUIREMENTS OF ALL DIRECTORS OF THE BOARD OF THE KINGSTON HUMANE SOCIETY:
- Attend Board meetings and important related meetings.
- Commit to participate in fundraising for the organization, including attending events, completing assignments and other board-related work.
- Participate as a volunteer in KHS events/opportunities.
- Accept and complete board assignments.
- Actively champion the KHS among social and business contacts.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for the KHS related to its strategic goals; participate in strategic planning and completion of strategic goals and objectives.
- Prepare appropriately for meetings.
- Review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Submit to a criminal background check.
- Actively support and champion the mandate of the KHS
- Must be a member in good standing
- Sign and adhere to the Directors Code of Conduct and Policies on Conflict of Interest