Tips You Should Know
Tips to find your lost pet
- Post ads on websites such as Kijiji & PetFinder, and Facebook’s “Kingston Community Lost and Found Pets” page.
- Canvas neighbours and walk through your neighbourhood.
- Visit the Kingston Humane Society and fill out a lost pet report
- Continue to VISIT the shelter every few days to look for your pet
- Make “Lost” posters for the neighbourhood that include a photo.
- Place ads in local papers.
- Call or visit vet clinics in your area and leave photos of your pet.
- Contact your local Animal Control.
- Expand your search by calling shelters in surrounding cities.
If you find an animal
If you have found an animal, you cannot simply keep it. There may be a distraught family looking for the found pet! You can notify us that you have found an animal by calling 613-546-1291. As well, advertise in the free ‘found’ section of the newspaper, post on social media sites, put up posters in your neighbourhood and bring the animal to our shelter or a veterinary clinic to scan for a microchip implant. If you are unable to meet the needs of the animal while you search for an owner or have no luck locating the owner, please book an appointment with the shelter staff at 613-546-1291 ext. 102 or contact animal control for your municipality.
LOST/FOUND REPORTS WILL EXPIRE ONE WEEK AFTER BEING SUBMITTED. Pet owners are required to renew their reports regularly by visiting or contacting the shelter. Please advise the shelter to cancel a lost report when pet is located.
Make your Pet Traceable
Get your pet microchipped as a permanent form of identification so that in the event that they do get lost they can be returned to you. The KHS runs microchip clinics throughout the year. Monitor our social media sites for the latest information on our upcoming clinics!