Veterinary Assistant / Kennel Attendant
The Kingston Humane Society, a non-profit animal welfare organization and registered charity, is seeking an engaging and energetic individual to fill the position of Veterinary Assistant / Kennel Attendant. The ideal candidate will be adaptable within the ever-changing atmosphere of leading shelter medicine practices. The KHS is a fast-paced, teamwork-based organization that promotes responsible pet ownership and compassion and respect for all animals.
Reporting directly to the Animal Programs Manager, VA duties include:
- Maintaining a safe and sanitary environment for all animals in the shelter, while adhering to safe animal handling practices and disease control protocols
- Responsible for nutritional, medical, housing, and enrichment needs
- Performance of daily evaluations of shelter animals health and well-being; notifying supervisors of any health problems or concerns regarding animals; follow established protocols if symptoms of illness arise; documenting/charting as appropriate
- Provide animal enrichment including exercise, training, and socialization of animals Ongoing advocacy and support to patients
- Transportation of animals through use of KHS vehicles – to appointments, participating in transfers
- Providing customer service and counselling to adopters, owners of lost pets, donors, and other members of the public
- Work in compliance with all KHS policies, procedures and protocols including the Health & Safety procedures
- Immediately report all incidents of injury, property and/or equipment damage, and maintenance issues to a supervisor
- Demonstrate cooperation with other departments in order to ensure efficiency of care and support for animals
- Successful completion of a Veterinary Assistant course, or other combination of education and experience
- Experience working in an animal shelter, veterinary clinic, kennel, or similar establishment
- Communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Good interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to interact with other animal care staff, Veterinarians, the adoptions team, veterinary clinics and members of the public
- Experience with low-stress animal handling techniques and behaviour management
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License (G2 minimum) and a clean driver’s abstract
- Technological skills, including the ability to work efficiently with computers, a broad variety of software and a web-based environment
- Experience with PetPoint database management
- Knowledge of Ontario SPCA Act and Pounds Act
- Experience working with an organization managed by a Board of Directors
- Leadership and supervisory experience
- Interaction with employees, management, and some contact with the public, including adopters and foster parents
- A supportive and inclusive work environment that offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Rotating shifts of 8am-4pm and12pm-8pm, some weekends and holidays
- May involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of heavy to moderately heavy objects and materials and some combination of climbing and balancing to include stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling>
- Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, including, but not limited to: dirt, dust, odours, wetness, humidity, weather, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, animal/human bites, disease, pathogenic substances.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume indicating how you meet the qualifications for this position to [email protected] with the subject line “Veterinary Assistant”. This vacancy will be posted until filled.
The Kingston Humane Society is a respectful and inclusive workplace, committed to accessibility, diversity, and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made by indicating this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact [email protected]
No telephone calls, please. We thank all applicants, however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.