Registered Veterinary Technician Position Available
Registered Veterinary Technician
The Kingston Humane Society, a non-profit animal welfare organization and registered charity, is seeking an engaging and energetic individual to fill the position of Registered Veterinary Technician. The ideal candidate will be adaptable within the ever-changing atmosphere of leading shelter medicine practices. The KHS is a fast-paced, teamwork-based organization that promotes responsible pet ownership and compassion and respect for all animals.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Veterinary Services, RVT duties include:
- Ongoing advocacy and support to patients
- Health assessment and monitoring of all shelter animals
- Medication administration (oral, injectable, topical) and other treatments as necessary
- Surgical duties (including intubation, catheterization, anesthetic induction and monitoring)
- Diagnostics including Radiography
- Record-keeping and maintenance of animal health records
- Compliance with all disease control/cleaning protocols
- Successful completion of a recognized post-secondary education program in Veterinary Technology
- Communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Good interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to interact with animal care staff, Veterinarians, the adoptions team, veterinary clinics and members of the public
- Experience working in a veterinary clinic and/or animal shelter
- Experience with low-stress animal handling techniques and behaviour management
- Ability to serve as a professional role model for animal care, handling and health assessment in a shelter environment
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License (G2 minimum) and a clean driver’s abstract
- Technological skills, including the ability to work efficiently with computers, a broad variety of software and a web-based environment
- Current registration with the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians
- Experience with PetPoint database management
- Experience working with an organization managed by a Board of Directors
- Leadership and supervisory experience
- Interaction with employees, management, and some contact with the public, including adopters and foster parents
- Superior benefits program, including veterinary benefits
- Salary competitive with local private practice.
- A supportive and inclusive work environment that offers a comprehensive benefits package, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and veterinary benefits
- Rotating shifts of 8am-4pm, 10am-6pm, and 12pm-8pm, occasional weekends (typically one per month) and occasional holidays
- May involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of heavy to moderately heavy objects and materials and some combination of climbing and balancing to include stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling
- Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, including, but not limited to: dirt, dust, odours, wetness, humidity, weather, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, animal/human bites, disease, pathogenic substances
Please submit a letter of interest and resume indicating how you meet the qualifications for this position to c[email protected] with the subject line “Registered Veterinary Technician”. Posted until filled.
The Kingston Humane Society is a respectful and inclusive workplace, committed to accessibility, diversity, and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made by indicating this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact [email protected].
No telephone calls, please. We thank all applicants, however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.