The Kingston Humane Society was founded in 1884 to provide shelter and care for homeless animals, to investigate allegations of animal cruelty or neglect, and promote adoptions and responsible pet ownership. Our team of talented, dedicated staff work tirelessly to support this mission.
The Kingston Humane Society, a non-profit animal welfare organization and registered charity, is seeking an engaging and energetic individual to fill the position of Veterinary Technician. The ideal candidate will be adaptable within the ever-changing atmosphere of leading animal shelter practices. The KHS is a fast-paced, teamwork-based organization that promotes responsible pet ownership and compassion and respect for all animals. Rotating shifts of 8:00am – 4:00pm and 10:30am – 6:30pm. Occasional weekends.
Reporting directly to the Population Manager, VT duties include:
- Health assessment and monitoring of all shelter animals
- Medication administration (oral, injectable, topical) and other treatments as necessary
- Surgical assistance and preparation (including intubation, catheterization, anesthetic induction and monitoring)
- Record-keeping and maintenance of animal health records
- Compliance with all disease control/cleaning protocols
- Following of all DVM directives
- Successful completion of a recognized post-secondary education program in Veterinary Technology
- Communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Good interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to interact with animal care staff, Veterinarians, the adoptions team, veterinary clinics and members of the public
- Experience working in a veterinary clinic and/or animal shelter
- Experience with low-stress animal handling techniques and behaviour management
- Ability to serve as a professional role model for animal care, handling and health assessment in a shelter environment
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License (G2 minimum) and a clean driver’s abstract
- Technological skills, including the ability to work efficiently with computers, a broad variety of software and a web-based environment
- Experience with PetPoint database management
- Knowledge of Ontario SPCA and Pounds Act
- Experience working with an organization managed by a Board of Directors
- Leadership and supervisory experience
- Registration with the OAVT an asset
Please submit a cover letter and résumé clearly indicating how you meet the qualifications for this position to [email protected] with the subject line “Registered Veterinary Technician”. Posting will remain available until positions are filled.
The Kingston Humane Society is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact [email protected]
No telephone calls, please. We thank all applicants, however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.