The Kingston Humane Society was founded in 1884 to provide shelter and care for homeless animals, to investigate allegations of animal cruelty or neglect, and promote adoptions and responsible pet ownership. Our team of talented, dedicated staff work tirelessly to support this mission.
JOB POSTING: Veterinary Technician
The Kingston Humane Society, a non-profit animal welfare organization and registered charity, is seeking an engaging and energetic individual to fill the position of Veterinary Technician. The ideal candidate will be adaptable within the ever-changing atmosphere of leading animal shelter practices. The KHS is a fast-paced, teamwork-based organization that promotes responsible pet ownership and compassion and respect for all animals. Rotating shifts of 8:00am – 4:00pm and 10:30am – 6:30pm. Occasional weekends.
Reporting directly to the Population Manager, VT duties include:
- Health assessment and monitoring of all shelter animals
- Medication administration (oral, injectable, topical) and other treatments as necessary
- Surgical assistance and preparation (including intubation, catheterization, anesthetic induction and monitoring)
- Record-keeping and maintenance of animal health records
- Compliance with all disease control/cleaning protocols
- Following of all DVM directives
- Successful completion of a recognized post-secondary education program in Veterinary Technology
- Communication, organizational and customer service skills
- Good interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to interact with animal care staff, Veterinarians, the adoptions team, veterinary clinics and members of the public
- Experience working in a veterinary clinic and/or animal shelter
- Experience with low-stress animal handling techniques and behaviour management
- Ability to serve as a professional role model for animal care, handling and health assessment in a shelter environment
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License (G2 minimum) and a clean driver’s abstract
- Technological skills, including the ability to work efficiently with computers, a broad variety of software and a web-based environment
- Experience with PetPoint database management
- Knowledge of Ontario SPCA and Pounds Act
- Experience working with an organization managed by a Board of Directors
- Leadership and supervisory experience
- Registration with the OAVT an asset
Please submit a cover letter and résumé clearly indicating how you meet the qualifications for this position to [email protected] with the subject line “Registered Veterinary Technician”. Posting will remain available until positions are filled.
The Kingston Humane Society is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact [email protected]
No telephone calls, please. We thank all applicants, however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
JOB POSTING: Marketing and Community Engagement Coordinator
The Kingston Humane Society is seeking a flexible and energetic individual to fill the position of Marketing and Community Engagement Coordinator. This is a permanent, full-time position. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a high energy level and the ability to work as part of a team. Key strengths must include the ability to work under pressure, flexibility, adaptability and high work standards. The incumbent will be responsible for the marketing and communications of the organization in support of the fundraising and community engagement activities of the Kingston Humane Society.
Main duties: participate in fundraising strategies and contribute to fund development plans of the organization. Work with the community to recruit and maintain relationships with new and existing donors. Active fundraising tasks including but not limited to: identification of and outreach to prospective and existing sponsors and donors; presence at community events and booths; sponsorship development; donor database management and CRA charitable receipting; assist in website improvements and updates; assist with event coordination and logistical delivery of events with support of the KHS. Contribute to KHS written communication pieces, prepare media releases and maintain our social media platforms. Support the mission and values of the organization in all dealings with staff, volunteers, sponsors, board members and the public.
Qualifications: graduation from a post-secondary program in the field of fundraising, marketing or public relations. The incumbent will have a proven track record which includes a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar position.
Ability to professionally communicate verbally, in writing and through social media with stakeholders and as a spokesperson in the community. Must possess a valid driver’s license without restrictions. You must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. You must be available to work varying shifts, including some evenings and weekends as required. Please note, the shelter environment may be not be a suitable employment option for candidates with allergies to dust and dander.
Please hand deliver or mail your cover letter and resume clearly indicating how you meet the qualifications for this position to:Kingston Humane Society – Attn: Operations Manager
1 Binnington Court, Kingston, Ontario
Please apply by noon on Tuesday, December 5, 2017
We thank all applicants for your interest in the Kingston Humane Society however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The KHS is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at 613.546.1291 ext. 103